Age No Bar for Dental Implants
Dental implants have revolutionized dentistry over the past few decades. A dental implant replaces a missing tooth. It is made up of titanium alloy and is available in various shapes and sizes. A single missing tooth or multiple teeth can be substituted with one or more implants.
The implant acts as the artificial root by integrating with the jaw bone and a tooth or bridge can be placed on it to mimic the missing teeth, without cutting the adjacent natural teeth. Dental implant provides better functionality, comfort and stable support than a denture or a bridge.
Prerequisites for a dental implant:
- The patient should have healthy gums
- Adequate bone support
- Good Oral hygiene
- Good overall health
- If the patient is diabetic or hypertensive, it should be under control.
- Patient should not be a heavy smoker. Although smoking is not an absolute contra-indication, it is advised that the patient reduces the frequency of smoking during dental implant healing period.
- Before any dental implant procedure, a 3D scan called cone beam CT (CBCT) is advised to evaluate bone density and volume of bone for successful placement of dental implant.
Why should one opt for implants?
- Requires no cutting of the adjacent natural teeth to replace the missing teeth, unlike a dental bridge procedure.
- Although, it is a surgical procedure, it is done under local anaesthesia, and the patient feels no pain during the procedure.
- Simulates the natural tooth, both in form and function. Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth.
- Prevents resorption of bone, thus, maintaining enough volume of bone.
- A dental implant could last a lifetime with proper maintenance and is the most effective and long term solution for replacing missing teeth.
- Maintaining hygiene around dental implant is much easier than crowns and bridges.
- In terms of cost, a dental implant is much more economical than dental bridges or removable dentures in the long run, since it survives a longer duration as compared to other procedures. Hence, although expensive, it is the best option for missing teeth as it avoids multiple sittings as compared to a failed dental bridge or denture.
What is immediate implant placement?
The process of placing an implant into the socket immediately after a tooth is extracted is known as immediate implant placement. The implant integrates with the bone (Osseo integration) and acts as the root. The time taken for ossseo-integration varies from person to person and also depends on the bone density. Thicker bone integrates quicker. However, in most cases Osseo integration happens within 2-6 months. Immediate implant placement reduces the treatment time and also increases patient satisfaction.
Is immediate implant possible in all scenarios?
The answer is no. Immediate implants are only possible in cases where infection from the tooth has not reached the bone, adequate bone is available for successful implant placement. The occlusion of the patient also is a factor to consider, since dental implants are always placed post planning of the crown/ prosthesis.
What are Implant- based over dentures?
A removable denture supported by dental implants is known as implant-based overdentures. It is indicated for patients who have no teeth, but adequate bone structure in the jaw. The denture is placed over the implants which can be removed and cleaned too.
The right age for dental implant placement:
Anybody can opt for implants, as age is not an important factor. However, the bone quality and the ability to heal after the surgery are very crucial for the success of the treatment. It is also important to give up habits such as smoking as it hampers the healing process after surgery.
Ideally implant placements can be done after the maxillary or the mandibular bone reach a certain level of growth. A lot of implantologists prefer to wait till the patient is 18 years old for implant placement. But these concepts have changed. Late dental growth spurts are achieved in women around 21 to 23 and in men around 23 to 25. Placements of dental implants can be postponed until this age.
“As per American Dental Association, patients over the age of 65 have at least three missing tooth. Implants are ideal for them as well as for elderly people in their 80s and 90s. The patient’s overall health is considered before recommending dental implants. Older adults are not excluded just because of their age”
How durable is an implant?
A successful implant may last for about 15-20 years or even more. It is also essential to maintain good oral hygiene, have regular dental check-ups and give up harmful habits for the long-term success of an implant. Therefore, patient compliance also plays a vital role in the success of the treatment.
The procedure of placing an implant is extensive and time-consuming than that of the other methods of teeth replacement. Also, it is expensive comparatively. But, it also lasts longer, and is more like the natural teeth in terms of functionality. Therefore, it greatly improves the patient’s appearance, ability to chew, thus, resulting in higher rate of patient satisfaction.
Why is ivory smiles the best clinic for dental implants?
At ivory smiles implant surgeries are performed with meticulous planning using advanced radiological aids like cone beam CT and 3D planning software are used which ultimately makes the procedure highly predictable. The surgeries are performed in highly sterile operatories and a strict sterilization protocol is followed. The best dental implants which are acclaimed worldwide are used for our patients, To know more do speak to our implantologist, Dr Amruta Dash, MDS, FICOI(USA) for more details.