Missing a tooth? Looking for tooth replacements?? What are the best options for tooth replacements?
If these are the questions bothering you right now, here is a complete guide to the tooth replacement options your dentist can offer you at ivory smiles.
But before that, it is imperative that we know what are the consequences of tooth loss.
A tooth lost due to trauma, decay, or which is missing from birth can cause a lot of social, personal and professional embarrassment. Whenever a tooth/teeth are lost it is important to seek immediate replacement which would last you a lifetime. But what happens if we do not replace a lost tooth.
1. DRIFTING OF NEIGHBOURING TEETH:
To cover the space created by the missing teeth, the neighboring teeth start moving in an attempt to cover the space. This could lead to your teeth drifting either forward or backward, thus reducing the space available for a tooth replacement.
2. GAPS OPENING UP IN BETWEEN TEETH: whenever a tooth is missing/or is not replaced, the opposing tooth either upper or lower tends to move away from its position in the search of its partner tooth. This leads to gaps opening on either side of the tooth as it loses contact. These gaps become a food retentive or plaque retentive area and lead to tooth decay.
3. BONE LOSS: it is said that the bone around the tooth stay with the tooth and also goes away with the tooth. The bone around every tooth needs the presence of a root or a tooth to stay in its position. Bone loss occurs once a tooth is removed and the level of the bone reduces thus reducing the support for even the neighboring teeth.
4. FACIAL PROFILE: a tooth not replaced for a long time also affects your facial structure ultimately affecting your appearance. Hence people without teeth tend to look older since the muscle start drooping and the width of the bone in your jaw reduces.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the closest replacements that we can offer to natural teeth. They allow you to live the way you want, be confident about your smile, eat comfortably and carry on with your daily activities without worrying about your teeth.
One can think of dental implants as artificial tooth roots. When dental implants are placed in your jawbone, they bond with your natural bone. Over some time, they become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, called crowns. The crowns are custom-made to match your natural teeth and also complement the articulation of the opposing teeth.
Modern dental implants have been used successfully for over 40 years. They are the strongest replacements available– and what is even better is, they allow these new teeth to feel, look and function naturally.
What are the advantages of dental implants over other modes of teeth replacement?
Dental implants are the only tooth replacement options that resemble and function like natural teeth. Unlike other tooth replacement options like a dental bridge or a removable partial denture,
They are the most durable and effective tooth replacement option. Also, in case of a dental bridge, the neighboring teeth are taken support from and would also need some grinding/alterationsn to it. Imagine hurting two healthy teeth, just to replace one teeth. Removable dentures are uncomfortable and also are not so hygienic. In case of a dental implant, the neighboring teeth are not affected and only the missing tooth is replaced. Also in terms of longevity, dental implants go a long way compared to dental bridges and dentures.
Dental implants are ideal for you if?
- You Have one or more missing teeth
- You Have a jawbone that’s reached full growth
- You Have adequate bone to keep the implant secured or if a bone grafting procedure can be done
- You Have healthy oral tissues
- You Don’t have health conditions that will affect bone healing
How long will my procedure take??
Each patient is different. After an initial consultation with Dr. Amruta, our chief implantologist we will be able to provide you with a treatment plan including the estimated amount of time to complete the process. Total treatment time depends on your needs, medical and dental history, jawbone condition, and the technique and materials used.
Why is ivory smiles the best clinic for dental implants?
At ivory smiles, implant surgeries are performed with meticulous planning using advanced radiological aids like cone beam ct and 3d planning software are used which ultimately makes the procedure highly predictable. The surgeries are performed in highly sterile operatories and a strict sterilization protocol is followed.
The best dental implants which are acclaimed worldwide are used for our patients to know more do speak to our implantologist, Dr. Amruta Dash for more details.